- While waiting for your starter kit, log into the back office and add your photo and story to your website. The minute you order your starter kit and become a consultant your website is active! and it’s FREE! There are options to personalize your website by adding your picture and your story. I strongly recommend you take the time to do this. Having your picture attached to your website allows your customers to be certain they are in the correct place! When new customers or future team members are looking for a consultant they are also more likely to choose someone who has a picture and a story. Direct sales is all about relationships and personalizing your website is a great way to get started!
- Join team Facebook groups. Your upline will most likely add you to these team groups. Consultants who reach out to others, ask questions, vent frustrations and celebrate victories are oftentimes more successful than those who do not. There is a wealth of information in these groups and we are all here to help each other. These groups contain words of wisdom, fantastic photos and strong support. Take advantage of this camaraderie and bond! (p.s. we all remember the feeling of opening the starter kit so show us pictures! we want to see! 😉 )
- Book 5 parties. Paparazzi is a party company and your business will thrive on parties! Once you become a consultant start telling everyone you know! Try to get 5 parties on your calendar before your starter kit even arrives (you’re not going to have them yet – just book them). The first party can be a launch party. This is an open house you host yourself. Invite everyone you know and show them the quality and fashion of Paparazzi jewelry! Message (privately, please, no one likes group messages. No one!) your friends and family. Tell them matter-of-factly and passionately that you’ve started a great new business with affordable, fashionable jewelry and ask them if they would be willing to be your guinea pig by hosting a party. They will earn FREE jewelry! This is probably the most difficult step for new consultants as it requires you to step outside of your comfort zone. We are all afraid of getting told no. Just remember, It Is Okay. Every time you get a No, it just takes you one step closer to getting a Yes. 🙂 The key is to help your hostess understand what’s in it for her. She gets FREE jewelry! and she gets to hang out with you and all her other friends too!
- Order business cards. You will want business cards to hand out at your parties, leave with a tip when you go out to eat, pass to the bank teller when you deposit your earnings, etc. Paparazzi does have a template you can use but you are also free to create your own. Check websites such as VistaPrint or OfficeMax as they often have coupons or discounts. Include your name, phone number, email, facebook page, website, etc. I also like to have information about hosting a party on the back of my card. I do recommend advertising the amazing price point ($5!) and the fact that the jewelry is lead and nickel-free. Be creative! In the Resources section of your back office there are a few logos and other graphics you are free to use. Hotsy-Totsy also has several templates for business cards and other signs.
- Make a Facebook fan page. If you are on Facebook, create a fan page for your business. This is a public page that is searchable so people can find you easily. (Warning: This is a public page so please don’t put your home address under info.) On this page you can showcase new inventory and engage your fans! Letting people know how excited you are for your starter kit to arrive is a great first post! Invite your facebook friends to “like” this page as well.
- Create a Facebook jewelry group. A fan page is great to have because it is public and searchable. However, Facebook also wants you to pay for advertising so it does limit who sees the posts from your fan page. Because of this, it is also a good idea to start a jewelry group. At this point you will just want to create the group. When you have your first parties ask your customers and hostesses to join this group. The purpose of this group is to build relationships with your customers and hostesses. Showcase Paparazzi but also demonstrate who you are – are you weird? quirky? boring as rocks? It’s all good! There is additional training for how to really maximize this group but at this stage just get the group created so it is ready to rock when customers join you there.
- Sign up for a credit card reader. I didn’t have a smart phone (or a desire for one) until I started selling Paparazzi. A credit card reader is a great investment. There are several available that you can research and choose from. The most common are probably PayPal and Square. There are different fees associated with each and a few other differences. There is not a “right” choice here. It is really dependent on you. I have Square as a credit card reader but I use PayPal for online invoicing so you can also mix and match.
- Order mailing supplies. If you are planning to do the majority of your business online or through Facebook you will need shipping supplies. These are expensive if you buy them 1 x 1 but an affordable business expense when purchased in bulk. Do your research as prices fluctuate continually. I purchase bubble mailers from ValueMailers.com and buy packaging tape in bulk from Amazon. Ebay often has equivalent pricing so be sure to check around.
- Create displays. When you are first starting your business it is easy to get overwhelmed by pictures of huge displays and fancy lighting. It’s possible this is all overwhelming and you really just want to curl up in the fetal position (wait- was that just me?). Here’s the deal – the purpose of Paparazzi is to make money, not go into debt. It is to empower you, not frighten you! It is to love and appreciate you, not defeat you! Take a deep breath and then take a good look around your house. What do you already have that would make really nice displays and won’t cost you a dime?
Vases, paper towel holders, mug racks, toilet paper rolls, sheets, candy dishes, cardboard, duct tape are all things I have used in my displays. Chances are you will change up your displays as you go along and figure out what works best for you so don’t spend a lot of money on them. When creating your display the goal is to keep it neat, clean and organized. The smile on your face is way more important than any fancy bust or peg board!
- Ask questions! Without a doubt, there is a lot of information to process when you order your starter kit and become a consultant. I want to give my team members all the information but I also don’t want to overwhelm you. Give yourself a voice and ask questions! I’m sure there are things I have forgotten in my team packet. I’m sure there are details I didn’t even think to explain as it is second nature for me now. Ask me! Ask in the team Facebook groups! Ask the Paparazzi corporate office! We are here to help you and want you to succeed!
“While $5 jewelry may not change the world, we believe those who wear it will.” – Paparazzi mission statement