Fashion jewelry is designed to appease the quest for beauty in all of us. It pushes the standards of trends and seasonal colors. It is not intended to become heirloom jewelry but with a little TLC it can last a long time – well after you’ve gotten your money’s worth! Due to the amazing price point of $5, I am often asked if Paparazzi jewelry will turn fingers and necks green. Body chemistry (and, yes, this can be affected by menstrual cycles as well) and moisture are the two common culprits for fashion jewelry gone awry. Follow these 5 tips for jewelry care and the latter will not be a factor.
- Keep your jewelry dry. Moisture is the #2 factor in fashion jewelry turning color. Store your jewelry in a dry area (avoid damp places like the bathroom!). If you live in a humid climate keep a simple piece of chalk in your jewelry box. The chalk will absorb the moisture from the air. Avoid exercising, sweating or swimming in your accessories.
2. Keep it clean. Just like anything residues, oils and dust can build up on your jewelry. Use a simple dusting cloth or a Q-tip to wipe the surfaces and keep it sparkling! A can of compressed air can remove loose residue from crooks and crannies. A soft baby toothbrush will also be useful for cleaning the surface. Avoid harsh products or chemicals.
3. Rotate pieces. We all have our favorite jeans, our favorite t-shirts and our favorite jewelry. Fashion jewelry, however, is not designed to be worn incessantly. Rotate pieces to prevent too much wear and tear. I have my go-to necklace, for sure – but it’s also good to change things up every now and then.
4. Last thing on & First thing off. We’ve already talked about the need to keep your jewelry dry and clean. One of the best ways to accomplish this is by putting your jewelry on last and taking it off first. Avoid spraying your jewelry with hair spray, perfumes, etc. as this will just lead to build up and residue.
5. Avoid direct sunlight. Direct heat and sunlight will damage fashion jewelry. The dashboard of your car is not an ideal location for jewelry storage. 🙂 Extreme heat and sun exposure can affect the metals as well as glues or adhesives. Store your accessories in a jewelry roll or box and out of the direct sunlight and heat and it should last a long time!
Fashion jewelry is intended for fun and splashes of color and allowing us to experiment with different styles and designs. Be adventurous! Live on the wild side and let your true self shine!